Follow Us

Pages

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Crocheting a Beaded Necklace


Midnight Blues Necklace by PillarOfMe

Since I have been showing my work, many crocheters have said that they can't believe I work so small. But it's really easy, and possibly less work! Or at least it is if you're making something small. ;) It takes less effort for your hand to complete a stitch, so once you get used to it you'll find your smaller pieces will go really quickly. If you're wearing the right glasses, it's just like crocheting larger only what comes out are beautiful pieces to make into jewelry.

Here is a simple pattern/idea that is a great way to get started in, (I'm going to coin a phrase here), minicrochet.

*Disclaimer: If you don't already know how to crochet, I do recommend starting larger. But all this requires is the chain stitch, so once you master that, come on back!

For the strands of this necklace, I used 5 or 6mm glass seed beads, a large eyed beading needle, number 10 crochet thread from Red Heart and a 1.65mm hook. Don't be intimidated when you see how small it looks. Try and think of it as cute instead! ;)


Step 1: Unfurl your thread and load up some beads! Make sure the thread is STILL CONNECTED to the skein, DON'T CUT. This is why you need to make sure you have enough beads loaded on before you start crocheting because once you start, you will have to cut the thread to add more beads. I used about 106 beads in my necklace strand and that made a necklace long enough to reach my bust. It's always safer to add extra.


Step 2: Ditch the beading needle, grab your crochet hook! Make a slip knot around the hook. Before you yarn over, (or in this case thread over ;)), push one of your beads up to the base of the knot. Now yarn over with the thread after the bead and pull through. In this pattern I then made two more chain stitches before adding a new bead and repeated. You can make a strand with any variation of separating chain stitches, (or none!), for a different textured effect.




Step 3: Once you've crocheted beads until your fingers are worn to nubbins, stop! Tie off! This beauty is done!

Make a bunch of them and tie them together for a thick and luscious bohemian beaded necklace! I used seven strands in my Midnight Blues necklace!

Click here to see this item in my Etsy Shop!

Thanks for reading! Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment